Nevada is ranked second in the country for the number of violent crimes. Arrests for violent crimes have also increased over the years. Being convicted of a violent crime can have long lasting effects.
Being convicted of a violent crime can cause you to lose your freedom. Even after you are released from prison, having been convicted of a violent crime, you will lose your right to own a gun, your right to vote, and can often make it difficult to find a job.
Violent Crimes include:
HOW MUCH TIME WILL I GET FOR A VIOLENT CRIME OFFENSE?
In Nevada, the penalties for violent crime depend upon:
- if deadly weapons were used or were available to be used during the alleged crime
- if inmates, parolees or probationers committed the alleged crime
- if the alleged victim sustained substantial bodily harm or died as a result
- if the alleged victims were a protected class, which includes police officers, state officials, firemen, jailers, teachers, school employees, judges, doctors, health care providers, taxi drivers, transit officials and even umpires at sporting events
Depending on the crime and the mitigating factors violent crime penalties include:
- Death Penalty
- Community Service
- Court ordered counseling
- Court ordered anger management
A violent crime conviction on your record, you might have limited educational and job opportunities. You may be able to get your record sealed or expunged, but that option is not available to everyone.
EXPERIENCED VIOLENT CRIMES DEFENSE ATTORNEY
If you have been arrested for or charged with a violent crime, seek the counsel of a Reno criminal defense attorney with experience fighting violent crime cases. We have successfully defended thousands of cases.
There are numerous defenses for violent crimes and depending on the charge you may be eligible for an alternative sentencing program which will keep the arrest off your record.
If you have been arrested for a violent crime, you deserve an experienced criminal defense attorney who will personally handle your case. Call Reno Nevada Law attorney Lee Hotchkin (775) 786-5791 – it’s what we do!